Towns at Lake Constance
- Constance (D): The biggest town at Lake Constance (80.000 inhabitants) with a historic centre, many pubs, restaurants and events (especially in summer).
- Lindau (D): 25.000 inhabitants, situated beautifully on an island, nice place, but expensive (Picture gallery Lindau).
- Überlingen (D): 22.000 inhabitants, nice centre, a "cosy" small town. In summer there are ships from Constance to Überlingen, which also transport bikes (Picture gallery Überlingen).
- Bregenz (A): 28.000 inhabitants, renowned cultural events (for example the "Bregenzer Festspiele"). Near the lake, the town is rather ugly, but the quarter called Oberstadt is quite nice. There is the mountain Pfänder (1064 meters) with a cable car and a nice view on Lake Constance. The hotels in Bregenz are quite expensive.
- Meersburg (D): A small and very touristic town with a medieval atmosphere. In winter, many shops and restaurants are closed. From Constance, you easily get there with the ferry, which transports bikes ( Photo gallery Meersburg).
- Friedrichshafen (D): 59.000 inhabitants, industrial town. The architecture's rather ugly, but there are interesting events. The most comfortable way to get there from Constance is the Catamaran,which transports bikes (Picture gallery Friedrichshafen)
- Kreuzlingen(CH): 20.000 inhabitants, the neighbour of Constance. Actually the Swiss town Kreuzlingen and the German Town Constance/Konstanz form one big town. ( Picture gallery Kreuzlingen).
- Rorschach(CH): A small town with 9.000 inhabitants. In summer, there is an interesting sand sculpture festival. And from there you can start interesting bycicle tours to the old Rhine. From Constance, there is a good train connection (which also transports bikes).
- Romanshorn(CH): 10.000 inhabitants. There is a ferry to Friedrichshafen (D). The best way to go there form Constance is by train (which transports bikes as well.).
- Radolfzell: A town with 30.000 inhabitants and a nice centre. There are no sights of special interest and so less tourists go to Radolfzell than to Meersburg or Lindau. But nonetheless it is a nice place to stay at Lake Constance and there are good train connections to Constance (15 minutes).